According to the American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine, 79% of falls occur at home. To reduce this risk, consider these helpful tips on how to make your home a fall-free zone.
- Remove throw rugs. Rugs are notorious for bunching or bulking up, making them easy to trip over.
- Clear Clutter. Clutter such as toys, games, trash or other debris is a potential trigger for falls. Make sure to tidy up the floor as much as you can.
- Watch for pets. Small animals can move under your feet, making them easy to trip over. To avoid falling over pets, try different tactics including attaching a bell to a pet's collar and training the animal not to jump up on people.
- Staircases. If you live in a house with staircases, there might be risk of falling down or up the steps. To avoid these falls, consider these tips: use a handrail, clear steps of debris, take your time and make sure all lights are on.
- Stay active. Try balance and strength exercises to improve muscles and joints. Check out Juniper's classes Tai Ji Quan: Moving for Better Balance and Staying Active and Independent for Life.